Monday 29 October 2007

Impulse buys & buyers remorse

I've never really suffered from buyers remorse to any great degree. I did a little recently when I bought my Canon 5D, the problem was the weather was awful and I just didn't get to use it as much as I would have liked. This led to the feeling that I'd wasted my money, when I started to use it I lost the remorse.

Now I impulse buy a lot so you would think it would hit me a lot too, until recently I've been lucky and this weekend was a nice save. I decided to pop into PC World to check out the 15.4" MacBook Pro I would be ordering from Apple on Monday, I'm glad I did! The thing is I just didn't like it, the screen size, the layout or all the dead space around the whole thing!

I decided against buying one there and then and this got me to thinking about the fact it wouldn't actually have been a good purchase for me anyway. The questions I got to asking myself are:

Would it help me take a better photograph?
Would it make me get out there more often?
Would it make me a better photographer generally?

And ultimately the answer to them was *no*. Whilst I was wandering round Slimbridge though getting the 5D wet in the rain it dawned on me that a weather sealed body might tick all the boxes for me [or at least most of them]. Whilst it wouldn't directly make me a better photog it would help me become one. It would let me get out there more often as I wouldn't have to worry about the elements.

So the search is on, I'm not about to blow £5k [Canon 1Ds Mk III] on something which is basically hobby kit so I'm looking at the older Canon 1Ds Mk II which is still a respectable standard. The 1D Mk III with it's 1.3x crop factor would affect my lense selection too badly so has been dropped off the radar.

I'm in the process of saving some cash to grab a 1D Mk II in the coming three months. In the meantime I've upgraded my 430 EX to a spanking new 580 EX II as I've been hankering after one of these for a while ;) Also grabbed an off-camera cord and a couple of sets of NiMh batteries to power the beast :)

Happy days!



H4rri
~~

www.randomphotos.net

No comments: